Sunday, January 23, 2011

Exploring the Village

My family lives in a village in Hong Kong. Today, was election day and I accompanied my aunt to the polls. Every village has elected representatives and I happened to be here just in time to see the elections. As my aunt went to vote, I walked around the village gathering area and took some pictures. 

This is where villagers bring huge "woks" to cook feasts for the entire village during special occasions. The entire village gathering area would become filled with tables of food. 

 This is the village temple, where villagers can pray and worship buddhist gods.

This is where villagers gather to play games like chinese checkers, cards, gambling games, etc. Inside, are just tables and chairs. 

 This is the village office where all the official happenings take place. This is where my aunt went to vote.

 

 
This is the village basketball court where kids play. There are chairs to the side for parents who want to sit and watch their kids.

The views from the village gathering area:



The village bus stop.

After voting, we went to eat at a nice cafe. We had a dish called "cha sieu fan." For those who know what "cha sieu" is, it tastes way better in Hong Kong! Our first meal of the day was at 3PM.


They put ice on the outside so that the milk tea wouldn't be diluted!


Then, we were on our way to Avenue of the Stars which pays tribute to the Hong Kong film industry, but more about that in my next entry. On our way there, we stopped by a typical Hong Kong park. My family was amused by how much scenery interested me because they are so used to everything around the area.

There was so much going on at that park! It was Sunday, so everyone is off work. The older folk like to sing and dance around the park, performing for people passing by.  On a lazy sunday afternoon, it is typical to see the elderly sitting and enjoying the little shows at the park. There are also a lot of women in their mid-twenties around the park. These are the maids of Hong Kong. Since they have Sunday off, they usually come to the park to relax and enjoy afternoon tea.

 They're dancing!



A great start to the day, I will blog about my night in a little while!

6 comments:

  1. So when you say village is it really in the city or like a suburb as we have in the states?

    ReplyDelete
  2. cha sieu fan--> I got that one. hahha bao fuk...
    ANYWAYS.
    Again cute little girl in the last picture. I think you are just making her take pictures with you so that no matter what people will tell you it's cute. JK JK.
    That's pretty awesome you got to go voting. I mean I know you didn't vote but you still saw a process that definitely would not have taken place 20 or so years ago!

    Miss you. Skype soon. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon, I dare you to try it somewhere other than ping pong dim sum ;)

    Johnny, it's Wai Ting! haha

    Joe, it's more like the suburbs than the city, but its more "country" than the suburbs i guess

    Connie, yess shes so cute i need to take pictures with her everyday! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY CHINESE CHECKERS!

    I love your blog. And you should definitely go swimming in that ocean! :)

    ReplyDelete