Friday, January 21, 2011

Hong Kong toddlers are really smart

I woke up this morning looking out to a beautiful landscape outside my window, and a gorgeous day ahead. 

The first thing I learned was that I woke up way too early: 8 AM. The local residents of Hong Kong typically sleep around 3 or 4 AM and get up at 11 AM at the earliest. After waking up and getting dressed, they would leave the house around 1 PM to grab some dim sum, yum! Locals eat dinner late around 9 or 10 PM and restaurants are always open until at least 2 AM. Craziness.

Since jetlag prevented me from going back to sleep, I spent my morning skyping everyone back in the States until noonish when my family in the house woke up.  I met my baby two-year-old cousin, Wai Ting and she is so adorable! Not only is she adorable though, this tiny toddler is smart! First, I have never heard a toddler speak Cantonese before and it was just the cutest thing. Then, she spoke to me in English. Impressive for a two-year-old, huh? She then proceeded to showing me her Ipad and how to play all these games. Hong Kong toddlers begin school at the age of 2 or 3 in Hong Kong. By the age of 3, they are legally required to start school by the Hong Kong government.  No wonder Asians are so smart :P

And she knows how to use chopsticks! :0  I can't get over how adorable she is.



Another thing I learned today: Winter here is not cold! It's kind of strange though because local Hong Kong residents are all wearing heavy, it-just-snowed coats while still complaining about how chilly it is. There is a chilly breeze every now and then, but it's very nice outside. I'm liking this type of winter.

When I walked out of the house today to start my adventure, I was greeted by more great scenery. I took some pictures while waiting for the tram.


After we got off the bus, we needed to take the Air MTR.

Dim sum time! Breakfast/brunch/lunch (I'm not sure exactly what meal dim sum is considered since it takes place around 2PM) in Hong Kong is fantastic.
I'm going to have to blog about the second half of my day later because I am so tired! I think my time clock is finally about to be set back to normal :) Goodnight, Hong Kong. I wonder what I'm going to learn tomorrow.

1 comment: